Saturday, May 12, 2012

Is Groupon Customer Service Going Downhill?

One of the main reasons I go to Groupon over other sites is I know they have great customer service.  I purchased a deal from them once about a year ago that I was not happy with because right after they came out with a better deal (more for less money) and so I called them and they gave me the new deal and refunded the old deal.

Has Groupon Customer Service policies changed though?  I have heard of a few people having issues with Groupon but my experience has been so great that I paid little attention.

Well I purchased their FTD Flowers deal to send my mother flowers for Mothers Day.  It stated you can use the certificate with any deal shown on their website - so I found a dozen roses for $19.99 (still about $50 with shipping fees).  However, my certificate would not work with this deal - when I tried to use the certificate it made the roses go up to $29.99.  I tried emailing FTD but that was quite a task and by the time I emailed Groupon and they got back to me it was too late for shipping at the lower rate so now it would be closer to $60 for my order.

I informed Groupon of the situation and asked for a refund.  They asked me to work it out with FTD.  I again explained to them I just want a refund and can't even order for the same price now, etc.... The return email asked me if I could just give the groupon certificate to someone as a gift.

Seriously????  I am not happy with my purchase and want a refund so you want me to give it to someone else - I don't think so!  I emailed them back and told them I do not want to give someone a gift I won't even use and I WOULD LIKE A REFUND.....  I mean here is what the Groupon Promise says (and I e-mailed them about 2 hours after purchase, not even the full 7 days)

Groupon Promise (Copied from Groupon site): 
We’re confident in the businesses we feature on Groupon
 and back them with the Groupon Promise. If the experience using your Groupon ever 
lets you down, we’ll make it right or return your purchase. Simple as that.
If you're ever having trouble redeeming your Groupon, we're here to help. If a business closes 
permanently, we will always honor returns for unredeemed Groupons. Unless a deal's 
Fine Print states otherwise, any unredeemed, unprinted Groupon may be returned within the 
first seven days after purchase. In other cases where a Groupon is not redeemed, returns are 
evaluated on a case-by-case basis. After the expiration date on a Groupon, it should 
still be used at the business for the amount paid, which never expires. 

Well I finally got them to issue a refund - but they didn't issue it back to the card I paid with.  2 days later and I just got an email that I now have $20 in Groupon Bucks, this is my refund.  I have emailed again asking if I can just get an actual refund put back on my card.  Either way I am starting to think Groupon's great customer service policies aren't what they use to be!

Have any of you had similar issues?  What has been your experience with Groupon?  Are their some daily deal sites left with great customer service???  Let us know which one's you shop at!

Update:  Thank you Groupon!  I just got my refund, glad they issued me one, still.....  quite a hassle to get it but glad it all worked out in the end.

4 comments:

Hifam May 13, 2012 at 7:16 AM  

I'm frustrated with Groupon right now as well. I have a restaurant that won't accept the groupon anymore. Groupon will refund the $ I paid for it, but not credit me back the $5 promotional credit I used when I bought the deal. They told me I just lose the promotional credit part.

Ashly May 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM  

It amazes me, because the first time I had an issue they went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of.... this time it was a huge hassle. I agree they should refund your promotional credit as well. Is the $5 credit worth making an unhappy customer? Maybe I am old fashioned but I believe Customer Service should come before all else. I will spend a little more money, drive a little further, switch banks, dentists, etc.. just to make sure I am getting the best customer service. I work HARD for my money and if I am going to give it to your company you better treat me fairly and act like you appreciate my business! Whew - there's my 2 cents (or dollar!) Hopefully they end up working it out with you, if they don't go back to their old way of treating customers I think they are going to lose a lot of them!

- Ashly @ Dirty Truth Reviews

Amie Devero November 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM  

I bought 2 Groupons each for an 80 minutes deep tissue massage which I intend to book as needed, since I'm an athlete and need massage for actual pain relief, not just relaxation. They both expire in the 2nd week of January, which seemed reasonable when I purchased them in August.

It is now November and I have not been able to get an appointment with the massage therapist, whose calendar gets more and more packed, with appointments available only 30 days out. I have tried at least 10 times to schedule one of these 2 items and cannot find a time that he is available.

I asked the massage therapist for a refund, and he said to ask Groupon. Groupon is trying to convince me to "gift" this. I have no interest in that. I want to spend the money on massage, and on a massage when I need it, not at some abstract date a month or two off. And I especially do not want to be stuck with two unused, 80 minute massages that are expired come January.

So far, I'm just disgusted.

drawUSA.com November 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM  

As a business I am disappointed in Groupon. I have sent emails, but no response. My deal is closed, but their review says that 33% would not recommend me to a friend.I only delivered on 15 vouchers before I asked in writing to shut it down. I know that the people who bought my offer were satisfied. I have contacted every one, and I have not had one person say they received a survey. And, several satisfied buyers say they can not find where to leave a good review, and they have contacted groupon to leave a good review, but to no avail.

eXTReMe Tracker

Pageviews last month

Design Credits

Blog designed by
Custom Blog Designs
using Flerg's Appletini Kit and stock image by Elena Sedova

DirtyTruthReviews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP